Syria: The Citadel & the War
The New York Review of Books 07 Jun 12
Archaeologists believe that human beings settled on the hilltop that became Aleppo - some 225 miles north of Damascus - around eight thousand years ago. Cuneiform tablets from the third millennium BC record the construction of a temple to a chariot-riding storm god, usually called Hadad; while mid-second-millennium Hittite archives point to the settlement's growing political and economic power. Its Arabic name, Haleb, is said to derive from Haleb Ibrahim, Milk of Abraham, for the sheep's milk the biblical patriarch offered to travelers in Aleppo's environs. Successive conquerors planted their standards on the ramparts of a fortress that they enlarged and reinforced over centuries to complete the impressive stone Citadel that dominates the city today.
"It is an excellent city without equal for the beauty of its location, the grace of its construction and the size and symmetry of its marketplaces," wrote the great Arab voyager Ibn Batuta when he visited in 1348. During the Renaissance, Aleppo was Islam's third most important city after Constantinople and Cairo. The modern Lebanese historian Antoine Abdel Nour praised it in his Introduction à l'histoire urbaine de la Syrie ottomane:
Metropolis of a vast region, situated at the crossroads of the Arab, Turkish, and Iranian worlds, it represents without doubt the most beautiful example of the Arab city.
Its beauty reveals itself in the elegance of its stone architecture, redolent of historic links to Byzantium and Venice; and in the diversity of its peoples-Arabs, Armenians, Kurds, eleven Christian denominations, Sunni Muslims, a smattering of dissident Shiite sects from Druze to Ismailis, ancient families of urban patricians as well as peasant and Bedouin immigrants from the plains-that makes it a microcosm of all Syria.
Documentary records of Ottoman Turkey's dominion over Aleppo from 1516 to 1918 portray communities of Muslims, Christians, and Jews living in the same neighborhoods. Unlike Tunis, where Jews were obliged to rent living space, Aleppo's governors imposed no restrictions on house ownership by members of any religious group or by women. It was not unusual for large mansions to be divided into apartments in which Muslim, Jewish, and Christian families dwelled with little more than the usual rancor that afflicts neighbors everywhere. Unlike more xenophobic Damascus, Aleppo encouraged European traders to trade and live within the city walls. The European powers, beginning with Venice in the sixteenth century, established in Aleppo the first consulates in the Ottoman Empire to guard the interests of their expatriate subjects. Reputed descendants of Marco Polo, the Marcopoli family, retained the office of Italian honorary consul well into the twentieth century.
Read the rest at the The New York Review of Books. You will need a subscription.
© Charles Glass 2012
Join the mailing list to receive details of new articles and upcoming events
middle east - general
Feb 13 / Dec 12 / Nov 12 / Sep 12 / Aug 12 / Jul 12 / Jun 12 / May 12 / Apr 12 / Mar 12 / Feb 12 / Jan 12 / Dec 11 / Nov 11 / Oct 11 / Sep 11 / Aug 11 / Jul 11 / Jun 11 / May 11 / Apr 11 / Mar 11 / Feb 11 / Jan 11 / Dec 10 / Nov 10 / Oct 10 / Sep 10 / Aug 10 / Jul 10 / Jun 10 / May 10 / Mar 10 / Jan 10 / Dec 09 / Jun 09 / Jan 09 / Aug 08 / May 08 / Apr 08 / Mar 08 / Feb 08 / Sep 07 / Jul 07 / Jun 07 / May 07 / Mar 07 / Oct 06 / Aug 06 / Jul 06 / Jun 06 / Mar 06 / Nov 05 / Oct 05 / Sep 05 / Aug 05 / Jun 05 / May 05 / Mar 05 / Feb 05 / Jan 05 / Dec 04 / Nov 04 / Oct 04 / Sep 04 / Aug 04 / Jun 04 / Apr 04 / Dec 03 / Nov 03 / Oct 03 / Sep 03 / Jul 03 / Jun 03 / Apr 03 / Oct 02 / Jul 02 / Jun 02 / May 02 / Apr 02 / Jan 02 / Dec 01 / Oct 01 / Mar 01 / Jan 01 / Jun 00 / Feb 00 / Aug 99 / Jun 99 / Apr 99 / Feb 99 / Nov 98 / Jul 98 / Mar 98 / Feb 98 / Sep 97 / May 97 / Sep 83 /